February 28, 2013
Happy Return A Shopping Cart Month!
Well I don’t know how much explanation is necessary here. If you have stolen a shopping cart the you shouldn’t wait until next February to return it!!! Here are a few facts about shopping carts.
The first shopping cart was returned in 1936 at a Piggly Wiggly
Defense Commissary Agency has approximately 50,000 shopping carts at its 308 stores worldwide. That’s 33 miles of carts placed end-to-end. If you stacked them up, they would rise to about seven times the height of Mt. Everest, but not quite into outer space.
Shopping carts cost $75 to $150 each, depending on size
Carts kept inside can last up to 10 years. Carts kept outside or carts that are subjected to abuse will only last about five years.
Shopping Carts Around the World!
- Shopping cart – the United States and Canada.
- Trolley/shopping trolley – the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and some regions ofCanada.
- Barrae – Some places in Scotland
- Carriage/shopping carriage – New England region of the United States.
- Buggy – Some regions of Canada, parts of the Southern United States and Pittsburgh; the latter case often being considered a word related to Pittsburghese.
- Bascart/basket – various regions.
- Wagon – Hawaii, New England.
- Caddy – France